To be the nation’s premier model of university staff leadership in shared governance.
The Staff Senate represents the interests of staff to strengthen relationships at the University of Kentucky and foster a climate that promotes and empowers all university employees and students to participate in the decision-making process.
Our Values and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Staff Senate values integrity, the principles of shared governance, democratically elected representation, partnerships with all aspects of the University community, and inclusive decision-making.
The University of Kentucky Staff Senate is a diverse collective body of staff representing all areas of the University of Kentucky organization. We are committed to supporting and advocating on behalf of each staff member in an unbiased, equitable, and inclusive way that provides a safe and compassionate space for sharing ideas and values through a lens of empathy and respect for others. We promote and value a community of diverse individuals and ideas regardless of race, culture, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, socioeconomic level, political perspective, abilities, opinions, values, or experiences. We encourage meaningful conversations and seek to cultivate opportunities for growth and learning.
The Staff Senate is committed to providing resources for training and development in the area of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and encourages all Senators to complete Unconscious Bias training. We are committed to the recruitment and retention of diverse individuals for the Staff Senate. We are committed to providing representation on departmental, college, and institutional committees and organizations to support staff and to elevate awareness around diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives. We are committed to engaging with staff and bringing concerns and ideas to University Leadership to enhance the staff community.
- Elevate the Effectiveness of the Staff Senate
- Elevate Quality of Life for Staff
- Embrace and Nurture Diversity
- Enhance the Intellectual and Economic Capital of Kentucky through Growth in Research
To Reach Our Goals We Will:
- Facilitate open discussions on issues concerning salaries, benefits, work environment, etc.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to assist staff members to understand and utilize available employee benefits.
- Collaborate with adult education organizations to increase awareness of and participation in post-secondary education and professional development.